Sunday, March 15, 2009

Reality TV: Category Three

This week I will continue my discussion on categorizing reality television. Two weeks ago I talked about game shows, and last week I talked about Tag Along television. This week I will talk about what I would like to call Improvement shows. These shows could be anything from home improvements to makeovers. I will split this category into groups due to the different types of improvement shows we could talk about. My first group will be home improvement. This group consists of shows that take someone’s home that needs fixing up or take someone who needs a new home entirely getting a home renovation or a new house built. Often this is done for families that are low income, single parents, or disaster struck. This group includes shows like This Old House, Design to Sell, While You Were Out, and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Other shows you could include would be Trading Spaces, Holmes on Homes, and Debbie Travis’s Facelift.
This category would also include groups such as car improvement and workplace improvement. Shows that could be included in the car improvement would be Pimp My Ride, Overhaulin, and Trick My Truck. Now you could say Trick My Truck could go in workplace improvement due to the fact that trucking is the way these people make their living but you could also say it goes in car improvement because a truck is a vehicle. Now some shows you could include in workplace improvement would be Restaurant Makeover and Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.
The next group in this category would be makeovers. This group would include shows that take a person who in behind on the times in the way they dress, or a little overweight, or who just needs to learn how to do their hair or makeup and the shows helps them with their problem. This group includes shows such as What Not to Wear, Extreme Makeover, The Biggest Loser, and Celebrity Fit Club. Other shows you may include would be Queer Eye for Straight Guy, Fat March, Supernanny, Made, and The Bad Girls Club.Like every week I know that my categories are not perfect and they may need some work. I ask you for your help and input to make my categories contain the right shows or maybe they need to have a different name. Whatever your input may be I would like to hear it so please leave me a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment